Friday, September 16, 2016

In Defense of Noah Czerny



For as long as I can remember, side characters have always annoyed me. They have always just fell flat in comparison to the main characters that were driving the story. I never wanted to hear about what our main character's best friend was doing at that very moment or what the love interest did before they became relevant in the story. This is probably really sallow of me because it left with such a face value reading experience.

I felt this way until recently. I found my opinion completely changing after reading The Raven Boys for the first time.

I know that I've said this a million times, but I will literally sit through the worst plotted book in the entire world in order to spend more time with characters that I love. I'm not saying that The Raven Cycle isn't a well plotted book. It was just an example. When I read The Raven Cycle, I became consumed by the characters.

Every. Last. One.

This included Noah Czenry. I so quickly fell in love with him in a way that no character, period, had ever stolen my heart. I honestly felt myself falling in love with all of his one liners as I read each one. I couldn't get enough of him and when I read over the final scene of The Raven Boys my heart sank in panic.

I read a confession on an anonymous Twitter account about how Noah was basically irrelevant and pointless in The Raven Cycle, and I truly have to disagree. I am bias, and I do admit to having more love for him than most other fictional characters that I care about. However, I have good reasoning behind that.

Here is my defense for why Noah Czenry is just as relevant and amazing as every other character in this beautiful series.

Noah puts a smile on my face in the happiest and saddest moments.

Noah makes me laugh at his bluntness.

Noah makes me appreciate life.

Noah gives me hope in the world.

Noah makes me feel important.

Noah makes me fearless.

Noah makes me think that maybe, just maybe, we have something to offer to the world with our goodness.

I know because he is not always around in the Raven Cycle, he is easily forgotten or brushed to the side, but If you really look at Noah and think about what his character faces you can see my points. Noah may be a side character and he may also be some people's least favorite and he also doesn't get a lot of time, but I will say that Noah is important.

I couldn't see this series without him because without Noah, where would we look for our will to never back down and to live?
Who is a side character that you want to defend?




No comments:

Post a Comment