Monday, July 25, 2016

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas // Review + Discussion

Title: Crown of Midnight

Author: Sarah J. Maas

Pages:

Synopsis: " "A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached.

It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend."


From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie... and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for." -Goodreads


First off, I just want to note that though this review is coming up way after when I read the books, my thoughts are still the same, and I remember clearly what I did not like from this book.

I think this book had some interesting aspects. I think the parts where Celaena was trying to uncover the mysteries of her world and the parts where the Celaena is uncovering the said mysteries are very interesting. That was the part of the story that really kept me interested. I think that this book had a ton of potential, but the things that I enjoyed were overshadowed by the things I hated.

Instead of write out senseless paragraphs, here is a list of things that annoyed me that I will talk more about in the discussion section:

1.) Celaena's change in character
2.) The romance
3.) The lack of action
4.) The love triangle




I don't think I have to warn anyone that past this point are spoilers, but in case you need a warning, here it is. There are spoilers.

Celaena's Change in character:

I am not one to be condone violence, but when I am reading about the world's best assassin I would like to see some action. The character that Celaena is supposedly is a trained killer. The type of person who will go after targets without question and get her job done, but in this book, that doesn't happen. I can't understand it. I get that she might be trying to go against the king's orders but that doesn't matter to me. There are times in the book where the people she is suppose to kill are not nice people, but yet she spares their life. I don't understand it. I get that in the first book there is a lack of this violence because a.) she is in the castle and is in this competition and b.) she is worried about winning her freedom and there isn't a chance of much happening at that time.

The Romance/Love Triangle

Chaol Westfall makes me want to gag. Dorian Havilliard makes me want to gag. Anyone who can make a main character who is suppose to be so kick ass, be not kick ass because she would rather take a trip to the broom closet than figure out what the heck the villain is planning, makes me want to gag. Honestly, I just don't understand how their relationship even formed.

What do they like about each other? Why does Celaena need a romance? Why can't see just be an assassin and not make the situation she is in more messy? I don't understand. When Celaena is with Chaol, she just turns into a weak character that I could care less about.

Also why Does Dorian feel so entitled? I mean the entire book I just got this vibe that he felt entitled to Celaena's love. I just really hate both of the love interest, and wish Sarah would drop this annoying romance.

The Lack of Action

What action?

Seriously though, the most action packed thing that happened was when Celaena stabbed a guy in the leg. That was it. She stabbed him, and I don't remember anything actually being described. Also, the one scene where Celaena chased after Chaol's kidnapper and you think that something is finally going to happen and the scene was kind of brushed over. I just felt like there could have been so much more action in this book. This series has so much potential and could be packed with action and epic adventure.



No comments:

Post a Comment