Wednesday, June 15, 2016

The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson


Title: The Unexpected Everything

Author: Morgan Matson

Rating: 4/5 stars

Synopsis: "Andie had it all planned out.

When you are a politician’s daughter who’s pretty much raised yourself, you learn everything can be planned or spun, or both. Especially your future.

Important internship? Check.

Amazing friends? Check.

Guys? Check (as long as we’re talking no more than three weeks).

But that was before the scandal. Before having to be in the same house with her dad. Before walking an insane number of dogs. That was before Clark and those few months that might change her whole life." - Goodreads

I think that I will forever love everything that Morgan Matson writes. Even though I didn't love this book, I did really enjoy it. I felt like the characters went through so much growth and development, and overall became characters I enjoyed reading about.

Characters: Even though, I disliked Andie for the first 100 pages of this book, I grew quite attached to her. I found her growth and her pain to relate to things that happened in my own life. In the beginning, I felt she was arrogant and had an attitude that her life would always be handed to her, but once she started on her path of development she impressed me. Her loss and pain connected with me on an emotional level, and I literally cried when she reach out to her dad.

Her relationships with her friends were kind of lack luster at some points in the book, and I felt the weakest part of the book was their relationships and the unneeded drama.

Her relationship with Clark was my second favorite relationship in this book. I found myself wrapped up in their relationship, and in each scene I think I become more invested.

Her relationship with her father to be so heartwarming. In the beginning the were basically strangers, but by the end of the novel they are more family than they had ever been. My heart was warned during each scene that they shared together, and it made me appreciate my father just a little bit more.

Plot: As for the plot, I found that the synopsis didn't really give much to what the book would be about. I found that to make my reading experience so much better. The first thing I would like to say is, anything with puppies is going to be something that I enjoy and for a sweet, coming of age contemporary, this delivered what I was looking for.

Writing: Morgan Matson's writing style and I have a love/hate relationship. I love her word choice, and how her characters come to life with her words; however, her long characters sometimes bore me because of the amount of time I am spending reading them. As a reader with a short attention span, I find them to be a little draining, especially if I want to read more than 3 or 4 chapters at a time.

Recommendation: Overall, this is my second Morgan Matson book. She is a beautiful writer, and I'm beyond happy that I read this book. I recommend this if you enjoy slow burning, character development, cute relationships, and puppies.

 




6 comments :

  1. I am glad you enjoyed this book. I have yet to read a Morgan Matson book, but I hope to soon. Great review.
    Chioma @ Blue Books and Butterflies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are sooo worth the read! I've loved the 2 I have read!

      Delete
  2. I actually haven't read any of Matson's novels yet, but I've had my eye on this one for a while! Glad you enjoyed this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My personal favorite is Since You've Been Gone! It's really worth picking up, and I like it more if you are looking to get started (:

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I own it, but I'm yet to read it yet. I hope to soon, because it seems like the perfect summery read! I ADORE dogs (that's one of the reasons I bought this book haha - I love the cover!), so that element of the book really appeals to me. Great review!

    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ADORE DOGS TOO CAN WE BE BFF's?!?!
      I hope you like it!

      Delete